Ladies some information for the upcoming Spring Meeting on Monday 18th April.
On The Day
Arrival at Luffness Golf Club
- All Players will be expected to follow the latest Covid Advice from Scottish Golf which can be found by following this link – Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates | Scottish Golf
- Masks are to be worn in the clubhouse.
- All players will be checked in at the desk by a member of the Committee, which will be located in the lobby area via the door at the main car park.
- You will be asked to confirm your current handicap index to ensure there are no discrepancies.
- You will be asked if you wish to be entered in the ELLCGA Championship or Handicap Quaich matchplay rounds which take place on Sunday 01st May and Monday 2nd May. The Championship qualifiers will be the top 16 gross scores and The Handicap Quaich will be the top 8 handicap scores, excluding those who have qualified in the gross category.
- Dress in the club house for the day is smart golf attire, no golf shoes to be worn in the clubhouse except in the toilets, changing room and entrance areas.
- There is no starter so please ensure you are on the tee at least 5 minutes before your tee time.
- The on course toilet will be located near the 6th tee/12th tee area
- Catering – Food will be available between 11.30am and 4.00pm
- Scoring will be via the Scottish Golf App, Committee members will be available to give guidance if required. Players may take a blank card and complete the scoring on the app in the clubhouse at the end of play. Players should record the score for one other member of their group to ensure scores can be cross checked at the end of the round. Please click on the following link where you will find an instructional video – Booking Competitions – ELLGA (ellgolf.co.uk) . For members who do not have a smart phone your scores will be entered by the committee from your card.
Contact on the day of the competition
If you need to contact us on the day, please message or phone the following numbers:
Up to 1130 – 07488324555
1130 – 1500 – 07876614113
1500 onwards – 07488324555
After last weekends excitement in the early rounds of the Championship we were back at North Berwick for the semi finals and finals on Sunday. We were to be treated to some wonderful golf seeing tough battles in the Championship semi final and final along with the Handicap Quaich. The sun was shining on us in the morning with a chilly North East wind blowing to offer the even best of players a few challenges. We saw wonderful golf, long drives, birdie putts, and a fantastic eagle at the 18th.
Our first two semi final matches for a place in the Handicap final saw Wendy Thummanond beat Lesley McClelland at the 17th 2 & 1, closely followed by Fiona Maciver going to the 18th against Irene Stewart and finally winning 2 holes up. Both matches were very tight and the Handicap Quaich Final was going to be exciting with local girl Fiona Maciver v Gullane Lady Wendy Thummanond.
In the Championship Semi Finals we were treated to the most magnificent play from all the ladies. Carys Irvine, a new recruit to East Lothian last year and Grace Crawford fought it out on the greens. It all came down to the putting seeing young Grace at just 14 years old beat Carys 5 & 3.
In the second Semi Final past Champion Clara, on her home course, was up against County newcomer Tara Mactaggart. This match was to be as exciting as we had anticipated. It was a fine display of birdies, huge drives and wonderful pitching. Tara was 1 up going up 18 and Clara, 2020 County Champion, sunk a 50ft putt for an eagle to level the match in front of the clubhouse taking the match down the 19th. But it wasn’t yet over, halving the 19th and 20th and both reaching the green in 2 on the 21st, it was Tara who came out the victor.
The afternoon stayed dry as the Handicap Quaich final teed off with Wendy v Fiona, and this was to be a closely played match going on the way to the 17th. Finally Fiona took her chance and won 2 & 1 to the delight of the North Berwick supporters.
As the chilly wind blew Grace and Tara set off at a fast pace, the score went up and down but neither player gave an inch until Tara birdied the 13th and 14th to gain a 3 hole lead. Grace came back to win the 16th hole and we were now seeing Tara dormie 2. Both girls had magnificent drives at 17. Grace played short of the cross bunker on the 17th and Tara took a 5 wood to the green, a brave shot, one she was to be grateful for. Grace reached the green and putted short. Tara then putted to a few inches from the pin and Grace conceded the match to Tara and the large crowd applauded the girls and congratulated them both on a wonderful display of match play.
We gathered in front of the North Berwick Clubhouse and Yvonne Keeling, North Berwick’s Lady Captain present the Runners up Brooches to both Wendy Thummanond and Grace Crawford along with the Handicap Quaich to Fiona Maciver and the Championship Bowl to Tara Mactaggart.
Tara thanked North Berwick, the County, who she said had welcomed her very warmly and her family.
On a personal note I would like to thank North Berwick for hosting the East Lothian County Ladies this year, they looked after us so well in the strange and somewhat challenging times. Thank you also to all the Committee for their help and our President Carole Ross for acting as Starter. We now look forward to taking a fabulous squad to the East Division Jamboree at Kingsknowe in July.
Congratulations to all the players for playing all matches in good spirit and giving us a fine display of ladies golf.
Our Champion this year is Tara MacTaggart.
Tara MacTaggart beat Grace Crawford 2 & 1 in today’s final.
Winner of the Handicap Quaich is Fiona Maciver.
Fiona Maciver beat Wendy Thummanond 2 & 1 in the final
Report to follow.